TEN NEW MINI-PITCHES FOR NYC IN 2019
First Lady of New York City Chirlane McCray, alongside partners and community members, unveiled the newest group of mini soccer pitches across the city as part of the New York City Soccer Initiative (NYCSI), culminating in a celebration of the vibrant soccer culture of NYC in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.
The centerpiece of the event was a photo exhibit featuring submissions from young New Yorkers documenting the soccer culture in their communities through photography. NYCFC team captain Alex Ring announced the winner of the photo contest, Kweku Brew, whose photos featured a mini-pitch in the Bronx where “everyone practices, comes to play, and learns about each other and the about the game.”
Young soccer players also had the opportunity to break in the new Flushing Meadows Corona Park pitch with drills and games led by NYCFC players and community coaches, and a surprise guest appearance from Queens’ own DJ Whoo Kid closed out the afternoon.
Ten new mini-pitches:
- Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Fountain of the Planets
- Moore Playground (East Harlem, Manhattan)—East 130th, Madison Ave., New York, NY, 10037
- Equity Playground (Woodhaven Queens)—91-02 88th Ave., Woodhaven, NY 11421
- PS 150 (Brownsville, Brooklyn)—364 Sackman St. Brooklyn, NY 11212
- PS 142 (Lower East Side, Manhattan)—100 Attorney St., New York, NY 10002
- J Hood Wright Park (Washington Heights, Manhattan)—W. 173 St. and Haven Ave., New York, NY, 10033
- Neptune Playground (Coney Island, Brooklyn)—2840 W. 12TH St., Brooklyn, NY 11224
- Century Playground/PS 100 (Coney Island, Brooklyn)—2951 W. 3rd St., Brooklyn, NY 11224
- People’s Park (Mott Haven, Bronx)—535 E. 141st St., Bronx, NY 10454
- PS 42 (Arden Heights, Staten Island) - 380 Genesee Ave, Staten Island, NY 10312