The New York City Soccer Initiative (NYCSI) partners—including the First Lady of New York City Chirlane McCray and First Team coaches and players from New York City Football Club (NYCFC)—celebrated the completion of the five-year initiative with the unveiling of a final mini-pitch at P.S. 184 Shuang Wen in Chinatown, Manhattan in 2021.
The new mini-pitch is one of 13 that was installed this calendar year, marking the completion of 50 mini-pitches installed across all five boroughs in just five years–even amid the many challenges throughout COVID. In addition to the new play spaces, NYCSI is enabling more than 10,000 New York City youth to have free access to soccer programming in underserved communities—including the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Soccer for Success program run by the Department of Youth & Community Development (DYCD) and NYCFC’s City in the Community (CITC) Foundation soccer programming.
NYCSI partners also announced a new commitment to create 26 new mini-pitches in lead up to the FIFA World Cup 2026™ and creation of NYCSI Community Cup—a free 5v5 tournament across 50 NYCSI mini-pitches for youth from all five boroughs.
New York City Soccer Initiative Year Five Mini-Pitch Sites
- PS 184 Shuang Wen – 327 Cherry St, New York, NY 10002
- Agnes Haywood Playground – E 215th St and Barnes Avenue, The Bronx, NY 10467
- Wald Playground/ PS 188 The Island School – 442 E Houston St, New York, NY 10002
- PS 186 –7601 19th Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11214
- Vleigh Playground/PS 165 – 7035 150th St, Flushing, NY 11367
- PS 1 – 335 East 152 Street, The Bronx, NY 10451
- Bayside Playground – 102-15 Beach Channel Dr, Rockaway Park, NY 11694
- PS 187 – 349 Cabrini Blvd, New York, NY 10033
- PS 36 – 255 Ionia Ave, Staten Island, NY 10312
- Ps 57 -–140 Palma Dr, Staten Island, NY 10304
- Louis Moser Playground – 25th Avenue and 76th Street, East Elmhurst, NY 11370
- Col. Charles Young Playground – W 145 St &, Malcolm X Blvd, New York, 10037
- Peter Minuit Playground – 1615 Madison Ave #3513, New York, NY 10029