New 2020 Mini-Soccer Pitches Unveiled with Virtual Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
The New York City Soccer Initiative (NYCSI) partners—including the First Lady of New York City Chirlane McCray and NYCFC Goalkeeper Brad Stuver—hosted a virtual ribbon-cutting ceremony in 2020 to celebrate the installation of seven new mini-soccer pitches across the city as part of the 50-pitch project.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the initiative remains on track to complete the installation of all 50 pitches by the end of next year. To date, a total of 37 pitches have been constructed throughout all five boroughs. Thousands of youth now have access to free programming—including the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Soccer for Success program run by the Department of Youth & Community Development (DYCD) and NYCFC’s City in the Community Foundation program—at these locations.
While this year’s celebration was moved online because of physical distancing protocols, this has not quelled the excitement of event participants. The virtual event was hosted by FOX5 Lead Sports Anchor Tina Cervasio, and included a performance by Renaissance Youth from the South Bronx and a video roll call featuring a ribbon cutting from each new site.
Year Four 2020 Mini-Pitches:
- Utopia Playground (Utopia, Queens) –73rd Avenue &, Utopia Pkwy, Fresh Meadows, NY 11366
- Pomonok Playground (Pomonok, Queens)- Kissena Blvd. &, 65th Ave, Flushing, NY 11367
- Fresh Meadows Playground (Fresh Meadows, Queens) - 173rd St, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
- PS 007 (East Harlem, Manhattan) - 160 E 120th St, New York, NY 10035
- PS 60 (Bulls Head, Staten Island) - 55 Merrill Ave, Staten Island, NY 10314
- PS 18 (Randall Manor, Staten Island) - 221 Broadway, Staten Island, NY 10310
- IS 117 Joseph H Wade (Tremont) - 1865 Morris Ave, The Bronx, NY 10453