MicrosoftTeams-image (17)

New York City Football Club Goals: Rodríguez 94'

New England Revolution Goals:

Quick Read

New York City Football Club were at Belson Stadium Wednesday night to entertain New England Revolution in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. A goalless first 90 minutes forced extratime on both teams, and that is when NYCFC found their breakthrough. An incisive counter attack after great pressing from Taty Castellanos allowed Santiago Rodríguez to separate the sides and win the tie on the night.

Match Recap

New York City Football Club were in Queens midweek aiming to advance to the next phase of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a win over New England Revolution.

Head Coach Ronny Deila made eight changes to the starting XI that secured a 1-0 win against Chicago Fire on Sunday – with Justin Haak earning his first start of the season.

The game began at a quick pace but with few clear chances, but that all changed in the 13th minute after NYCFC won a corner.

A well-taken set-piece found Thiago Andrade free but both his headed effort and follow-up attempt were brilliantly saved by Djorde Petrović on the line to keep the scores level.

Talles Magno would be the next NYCFC player to earn a look at goal after some good build-up play by the Boys in Blue, but Petrović was able to hold onto his effort.

As the half drew to a close the Revs produced an incisive counterattack opportunity that ended with Esmir Bajraktarevic heading the ball into the arms of Luis Barraza.

The second period saw no changes for the hosts but there was an early chance for the visitors. Barraza was called into action when a low drive almost crept inside his post, but he did well to turn it behind.

In the 56th minute, a freekick from Andres Jasson found its way to Haak 12 yards out but he did not make a clean connection with the ball and it bounced harmlessly into the goalkeeper's hands.

Three minutes later a cute pass from Thiago Martins found Amundsen out left and his cross landed on the head of Talles Magno, but again it lacked the power required to open the scoring.

Ronny Deila rang the changes in the 66th minute introducing three new faces. Departing the field was Parks, Haak, and Talles Magno for Nicolás Acevedo, Santiago Rodríguez, and Taty Castellanos. That was followed by the departure of Amundsen for Chris Gloster minutes later.

The team's final sub during the 90 minutes would arrive in the 77th minute as Thiago Andrade departed proceedings to be replaced by his compatriot Héber.

Castellanos got his first look at goal in the 87th minute when Jasson hung a cross up to the back post, but his attempt from a narrow-angle couldn't get past Petrović.

The last act of regular time fell to Maxime Chanot after the ball bounced around the penalty area. Unfortunately, the defender could not keep his attempt down and it went over the bar.

That forced a period of extra-time and with it the first goal of the evening. It arrived after some fantastic pressing by Taty Castellanos. After winning the ball back he passed it across to Héber, who fed Santiago Rodríguez to produce a great finish from close range.

The arrival of extra-time also facilitated an extra substitution for both teams and Deila chose to introduce Vuk Latinovich for Gedion Zelalem in the 102nd minute.

The pace of the game had now been overtaken by tiring legs and right as fulltime approached Barraza was called into action to deny Gustavo Bou from leveling things up - his flicked header palmed away by the shot-stopper.

That would prove to be the final chance of the game and confirm a place in the next round of the U.S. Open Cup for NYCFC where they will meet Red Bulls.

Player of the Match

MicrosoftTeams-image (18)

How We Lined Up


What's Next

Next up for New York City Football Club is a meeting with Minnesota United on Saturday, May 28. Kickoff at Allianz Field is scheduled for 8:00PM EST (YES Network/