After missing two matches with a shoulder injury. Sean Johnson’s name has been removed from the injury sheet and the goalkeeper is expected to play against Philadelphia Union on Saturday, August 18.
Newcomer Taty Castellanos will miss the match with a quadriceps injury. He is also joined by Yangel Herrera and Cedric Hountondji who will also miss the road trip to Philadelphia.
Valentin Castellanos OUT (quad)
Yangel Herrera OUT (Ankle
Cedric Hountondji OUT (hamstring avulsion)
- New York City has won four of their last five league meetings with the Union (1L), scoring multiple goals in all four victories.
- This will be the Union’s first home game in nearly a month. Philadelphia has lost three of their last four home matches (1W), conceding multiple goals in all three losses.
- NYCFC has won five of their last seven MLS matches (1L-1D). However, they’ve allowed multiple goals in three straight matches after keeping four consecutive clean sheets.
- The Union have conceded seven penalty kick goals. Since 2010, only six teams have allowed more in a single season.
- NYCFC have scored 26 left footed goals so far this season, the most of any team in the league, while Philadelphia have scored only six left footed goals, tied for the fourth fewest.
- Jack Elliot’s brace last weekend was the third time this year and the 35th time in club history that a player has scored multiple goals in the same game. He is the first Union defender to do so.
- Maxi Moralez has already set the club record for most assists in a season with 12. Additionally, only one MLS player has more than him this year (Kaku – 14).
- C.J. Sapong won 14 aerial duels against New England last weekend. Since the start of 2010, only three players have won more in a single MLS match (inc. playoffs).
- David Villa’s goal against Toronto gave him goals in each of his last three MLS road games. He had scored once in his first four league road matches.
- Alexander Callens has completed 1,392 passes so far this year, the third most of any player in MLS.
Check out the Keys To The Matchhere.