recap open cup dc untied

Match Recap | D.C. United 1-2 NYCFC

NYCFC Goals: Mitriță 38', Tajouri-Shradi 40'

D.C. United Goals: Rooney 32' 

Quick Summary

New York City FC defeated D.C. United 2-1 to progress to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup, thanks to a pair of first half goals from Alexandru Mitriță and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi.

City advances to the quarterfinals for the first time in Club history where they will take on Orlando City SC on a date tbd.

Match Recap

New York City FC traveled to Audi Field for the second time this season to take on D.C. United - this time for a U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 match. 

The Boys in Blue advanced to the Round of 16 after defeating North Carolina FC, 4-0, just a week prior in Queens 

Captain Alex Ring reclaimed his armband after shaking off an injury, while the big three, Alexandru Mitriță, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, and Héber carried the charge up front.

D.C. United kicked off the night with an early shot on goal from Wayne Rooney off a back-heel from Luciano Acosta, but fortunately for NYCFC, the shot went off the post. 

The Boys in Blue, with hopes of continuing their U.S. Open campaign, looked to score early on with back-to-back attempts from Mitriță but both attempts were saved well by Chris Seitz. 

The team’s luck nearly turned when Héber seemed to find the back of the net off a corner in the 7’ minute, but the goal was disallowed as a handball, though replays seemed inconclusive in determining whether the ball just went off the Brazilian's shoulder or lower down.

Rooney scored the first goal of the night in the 32’ minute, off a long pass from Ulises Segura, to beat Brad Stuver to the back of the net, taking the lead 1-0 against the run of play.

City wouldn't be behind for long, equalizing just six minutes later, deservedly through the dangerous Mitriță.

The Romanian tore through the D.C. United defense on a long ball from Parks to net the equalizer, cooly slotting past the 'keeper. NYCFC tied up the match 1-1 in the 38’ minute.

They found the eventual match-winner just two minutes later as Tajouri-Shradi’s left foot came through once again for the City, beating Seitz for the lead in the 40’ minute, 2-1.

It was a devastating finish on his instep after the Libyan had cut in from the right channel.

With three goals scored, before the half, NYCFC retired to the locker room with the lead and another 45' to go.

D.C. United came out in the second half looking to net the equalizer, which they nearly found when Rooney got in range and took a shot at goal but Stuver was ready to deny the forward with a strong save. 

There were a couple of scares but for the most part, NYCFC controlled the game after the break and rarely looked in danger of letting their place in the last eight slip.

When the full-time whistle sounded, the Boys in Blue had secured the win on the road to advance to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup.

How We Lined Up

What's Next

NYCFC heads to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup, stay tuned to to find out who our next opponents are as the hunt for the Cup continues. We're back at Yankee Stadium on June 29 when Philadelphia are the visitors.