Good news in the goal scoring department, with Jo Inge Berget and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi scrubbed from the injury report
On the flipside, Sean Johnson is questionable in goal with a shoulder injury sustained in training, so a big chance for Brad Stuver could be on the way.
Per MLS Policy, David Villa is automatically unable to take part in this weekend’s home game vs. Vancouver Whitecaps after missing the MLS All Star Game on Wednesday evening.
Roll on Saturday…
- OUT: M - Yangel Herrera (ankle)
- OUT: D - Cedric Hountondji (hamstring avusion)
- QUESTIONABLE: GK – Sean Johnson (shoulder)
- OUT: M – Jordon Mutch (right foot injury)
- The Whitecaps earned a 3-2 win against NYCFC in the last meeting between the two clubs. The Cityzens had won the first two league games against Vancouver, and have scored 2+ goals in all three games.
- NYCFC’s 3-1 loss last weekend snapped a four-game winning streak in which they did not allow a single goal. However, the Cityzens are on a franchise-best 13-game unbeaten run at home (10W-3D).
- The Whitecaps have dropped their last three league road games, getting outscored 9-1 in the process. They have not lost four straight MLS away games since a MLS franchise-worst seven-game losing streak in 2012.
- Maxi Moralez completed 61 passes in Seattle’s half in their 3-1 loss last weekend, the most successful passes in an opponent’s half ever by NYC player in a MLS match.
- The Whitecaps scored four goals with just 38.4% of the ball against Minnesota, the second time this year an MLS team has managed four goals with less than 39% possession (D.C. against Toronto on June 14th).
- Maxi Moralez had 117 touches against Seattle last weekend, tied for the eighth-most touches an NYCFC player has ever taken in a single MLS match. Moralez also ranks fourth and fifth on the list, both marks he achieved this season.
- Vancouver has scored 13 goals in the last 15 minutes of matches this year, tied for the most of any team in the league. NYCFC has conceded three goals in the last 15 minutes of games this year, the fewest of any team in the league.
- In the 1,367+ minutes Yordy Reyna has played this season, the Whitecaps average 1.8 goals per 90. In the 798+ minutes without him, they average 0.8 per 90.
- Jesus Medina has three goals in his last four MLS appearances, after two in his first 18.
- Alphonso Davies and Yordi Reyna each had two assists for the Whitecaps last weekend, the 21st and 22nd times in franchise MLS history a player has had multiple assists in a single game, and just the third time in franchise history that two players have had at multiple assists in the same game.