Every week in the Fall and the Spring seasons, City in the Community (CITC) Foundation delivers free soccer program for East Harlem public schools on Randall’s Island.
Recess Soccer is an opportunity for 1020 students in elementary schools in East Harlem to get out of the classroom during school recess (10am – 12pm) to play soccer.
With the lack of physical activities in schools during recess times in Elementary schools, CITC created this initiative for nearby schools to experience soccer in a fun, engaging environment and to promote a healthy and active lifestyle for the children.
Results of a recent survey of students and teachers who partook has delivered some encouraging findings in terms of the positive effect these recess programs have had on Randall’s Island schools for the years they’ve been in existence.
200 youths were polled and the results are as follows…
- 97% of students said they agree or strongly agree that they enjoyed taking part in the program
- 93% of students said they agree or strongly agree that their confidence has improved since joining the program
- 94% of students said they agree or strongly agree that the coaches created a safe environment
- 96% of students said they agree or strong agree that they wish to continue to be involved with CITC programs in the future
Of 15 Teachers who completed the survey…
- 100% of teachers said CITC coaches were very professional or extremely professional
- 100% of teachers said the coaches provided a safe and fun environment for their students to play
- 100% of teachers said their class learned the health benefits of playing soccer
- 97% of teachers said they would very likely or extremely likely recommend this program to other schools
This program is run by CITC Coaches from Mondays through Thursdays.
Schools served are:
- PS 182 – Bilingual Bicultural School
- PS 83 – Luis Munoz Rivera School
- PS 57 – James Weldon Johnson School
- PS 112- Jose Celso Barbosa School