Following a three-save performance in the victory over D.C. United on Thursday, New York City FC goalkeeper Josh Saunders has found himself atop the Major League Soccer saves list through Week 24.
The veteran shot-stopper has 81 saves (on a league-high 121 shots) in 23 matches this season. The mark is a new MLS regular-season career high for Saunders, who had 80 regular-season saves with the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2012.
|Josh Saunders||New York City FC||81|
|David Bingham||San Jose Earthquakes||80|
|Stefan Frei||Seattle Sounders||79|
|Steve Clark||Columbus Crew SC||79|
|Bill Hamid||D.C. United||71|
Not only does Saunders lead the league in saves, but the 34-year-old is in the top 5 in successful goalie sweepings and accurate passes.
His 22 accurate keeper sweepings is tied for second; trailing Houston's Tyler Deric (42). Saunders isn't just quick to get off his line; he's also effective when distributing the ball. Saunders is second in the league with 376 successful passes by a goalie, only behind Columbus' Steve Clark (575).
Kei Kamara has been the focal point of the Columbus Crew SC offense this season. The forward currently leads the club and Major League Soccer with 17 goals -- one better than Toronto FC's Sebastian Giovinco (16) and three ahead of New York City FC's David Villa (14).
Kamara, a 2015 MLS All Star and two-time MLS Player of the Week, has had an unstoppable relationship with midfielder Ethan Finlay. Finlay, also an MLS All Star, is third in the league with 12 assists -- half of which have set up Kamara.
Columbus, which is currently third in the Eastern Conference, is 7-1-4 in matches Kamara scores.
|8/8||2-1 W at Colorado||2 goals||assist|
|7/25||3-3 D vs. Toronto FC||goal|
|7/19||3-1 W vs. Chicago||goal|
|7/15||1-0 W at Chicago||goal||assist|
|6/24||2-1 W vs. New England||2 goals||assist|
|5/30||2-2 D at Orlando||goal|
|5/22||2-2 D vs. Chicago||2 goals||assist|
|5/9||3-2 W vs. Seattle||2 goals|
|4/25||4-1 W vs. Philadelphia||goal||assist|
|4/18||3-0 L vs. Orlando||goal|
|4/8||2-2 D at Vancouver||2 goals||assist|
|3/14||2-0 W vs. Toronto||goal|
New York City FC will be without central defender Shay Facey tonight. Facey is suspended due to yellow card accumulation. The 20-year-old, who is on a season-long loan from Manchester City FC's Elite Development Squad, has 16 appearances (14 starts) for New York City FC in 2015.
- Five of Kei Kamara's 11 career MLS braces have occurred this season.
- Columbus has a +11 goal differential at MAPFRE Stadium and a -12 goal differential on the road this season.
- New York City FC are one of three teams in MLS who have conceded less goals on the road (13) than at home (24).
- Columbus has allowed a league-high 11 goals in the first 15 minutes of second halves this season.
- Columbus has scored a league-high 11 goals in the first 15 minutes of second halves this season.
- New York City FC are averaging 2.3 goals per match over their last six matches (2-3-1).
- The Crew have scored in 21 straight home matches and average 2.4 goals per match in their last 10 at home.