Setting the scene for our third meeting with Sporting Kansas City at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday night…
- This will be the third ever meeting between the two teams. Sporting Kansas City won both of the first two games, including a 1-0 victory in Yankee Stadium on March 28th, 2015, in just the second ever NYCFC home game.
- NYCFC are unbeaten in nine straight home games (7W-2D), a franchise best home unbeaten streak in a single regular season, and approaching the franchise regular season record (11 games between 6/18/2016 and 4/1/2017).
- Sporting have only won once in their last nine MLS regular season road games (5L-3D). They have failed to score in six of these games.
- Maxi Moralez’ goal against the Red Bulls was his second in his last six league appearances after taking 16 games to get his first two MLS goals.
- In the 14 games Dom Dwyer had started for Sporting Kansas City this year, they averaged 1.9 points per game. In the 11 games that SKC has not included Dwyer in their starting lineup this season, that number falls down to 1.3 points per game.
- NYCFC have scored the most goals of any team in the league between the 61st and 75th minute of matches this year (13). Sporting Kansas City have conceded the fewest goals in that segment of matches in the league this year (two).
- Graham Zusi had two assists in Sporting’s 2-0 win over FC Dallas on August 19th. It was his first time in 53 regular season MLS appearances recording multiple assists (last happened on May 29th, 2015, also against FC Dallas).
- NYCFC allowed 21 Red Bull shots in their last game, tied for the fifth most shots they’ve ever faced in a regular season game where they conceded one goal or fewer (49 such games.)
- Jack Harrison (44) and David Villa (40) have each completed more than 40 dribble so far this season, just two of nine MLS players to have done so at this point in the season. There has only been one other instance of an NYCFC player completing 40 or more dribbles in a single MLS season (Kwadwo Poku in 2015).
- Ilie Sanchez has completed 1,437 passes so far this season, the fourth most of any player in MLS.
The Last Time
It was a punishing night for NYCFC in July 2016 as Sporting KC put the Boys in Blue to the sword at Children’s Mercy Park.
Frank Lampard canceled out Benny Feilhaber’s early goal but Jimmy Medranda and Ike Opara scored to make it 3-1.
Sporting KC ran out 2-0 victors over FC Dallas in their last encounter on August 19.
Sporting KC can go top of the Western Conference with a victory on Wednesday night following a run of three wins in their last five games.