New York City Football Club are pleased to confirm that three players have been named to the 2022 MLS All-Star Roster.
Goalkeeper and Club Captain Sean Johnson is joined on the 26 man roster alongside teammates Taty Castellanos, and Alex Callens with all three earning their first ever All-Star selection. The trio have been in fine form this season and played their part in helping NYCFC sit near the top of the Eastern Conference standings.
For the second consecutive season, the MLS All-Stars will take on the best of LIGA MX on August 10 at 8:30 p.m. ET at Allianz Filed in Minnesota. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN and Univision in the U.S., TSN and TVA Sports in Canada, on ESPN throughout Mexico and Latin America, and in more than 190 countries around the world. Tickets are available at MLSsoccer.com/All-Star or by clicking here.
Both NYCFC and current LAFC have a league-best three players on the 2022 All-Star roster. For NYCFC, Johnson, who was selected to the roster by Commissioner Don Garber, and Castellanos are joined by scorer of the decisive penalty in the 2021 MLS Cup final Alexander Callens.
Elsewhere, LAFC’s trio of honorees includes Carlos Vela, six-year MLS veteran Ilie Sánchez, and 22-year-old Ecuadorian international Diego Palacios.
The roster was selected through a combination of fan, player, and media voting (12 players), designations by All-Star head coach Adrian Heath of host club Minnesota United FC (12 players), and a pair of selections by MLS Commissioner Don Garber.
The Commissioner’s Picks for the 2022 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target are New York City FC goalkeeper Sean Johnson and CF Montréal standout defender Kamal Miller – both of whom are expected to help lead their respective nations of the United States and Canada at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar. The 2021 MLS Cup MVP, Johnson is currently tied for the Major League Soccer lead with eight clean sheets, including six consecutive shutouts from May 1 through May 28. Miller, a first-time All-Star selection, has played a leading role in CF Montréal’s success this season, starting 15 games and playing over 1,300 minutes on the club’s defensive line.
NYCFC are one of sixteen clubs represented on this year’s All-Star Game roster alongside: Austin FC, FC Cincinnati, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, FC Dallas, Inter Miami CF, LA Galaxy, LAFC, Minnesota United FC, CF Montréal, Nashville SC, New England Revolution, Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union, and Seattle Sounders FC. The players have ties to 10 different countries: Argentina (four players), Canada (two), Ecuador (one), Germany (two), Greece (one), Jamaica (one), Mexico (three), Peru (two), Spain (two), and the United States (eight). Additionally, 14 of the 26 players will be making their MLS All-Star Game presented by Target debut.
2022 MLS All-Star Roster
- Acosta, Luciano - FC Cincinnati - AM
- Araujo, Julián - LA Galaxy - RB
- Arriola, Paul - FC Dallas - FW
- Blake, Andre - Philadelphia Union - GK
- Callens, Alexander - New York City FC - CB
- Castellanos, Valentín - New York City FC - FW
- Driussi, Sebastián - Austin FC - AM
- Ferreira, Jesús - FC Dallas - FW
- Fountas, Taxiarchis - D.C. United - FW
- Gil, Carles - New England Revolution - AM
- Hernández, Javier - LA Galaxy - FW
- Johnson, Sean - New York City FC - GK
- Long, Aaron - New York Red Bulls - CB
- Miller, Kamal - CF Montréal - DEF
- Morris, Jordan - Seattle Sounders FC - FW
- Mukhtar, Hany - Nashville SC - AM
- Nagbe, Darlington - Columbus Crew - DM
- Palacios, Diego - LAFC - LB
- Reynoso, Emanuel - Minnesota United FC - AM
- Ruidíaz, Raúl - Seattle Sounders FC - FW
- Sánchez, Ilie - LAFC - DM
- St. Clair, Dayne - Minnesota United FC - GK
- Vela, Carlos - LAFC - FW
- Wagner, Kai - Philadelphia Union - LB
- Yedlin, DeAndre - Inter Miami CF - RB
- Zimmerman, Walker - Nashville SC - CB