Richy Ledezma has joined New York City Football Club on loan from PSV Eindhoven.
Here are ten things to know about our new recruit…
- Richy was born in Phoenix, Arizona, into a soccer-loving family: both of his parents, and all of his siblings play the beautiful game.
- The midfielder has been referred to as the ‘Mexican Pulisic’ for his impressive ability to keep the ball ‘stuck to his feet.’ He plays in the #10, #8 or #6 roles and describes himself as a ‘patient, calm and creative attacking player’, who strives to contribute with assists. His favorite player is Andrés Iniesta.
- The youngster revealed Christian Pulisic actually gave him career advice, while the pair played the video game Fortnite together!
- An impressive 2017/18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy campaign saw Ledezma clinch the U18/19 West Conference Player of the Year award, and earn an inclusion in the Best XI. He had also been named in the Best XI at U-15/16 level in 2017.
- Before receiving his first senior cap, the midfielder represented the United States National Team at youth level, featuring in the 2019 Under-20 World Cup. He provided an assist on his debut in the tournament, helping his side to a quarter-final spot with a shock 3-2 comeback win over France.
- He earned his first senior international call-up to the USMNT in November 2020, and crafted two assists on his debut with an impressive 22-minute cameo against Panama, setting up former Real Salt Lake teammate Sebastian Soto for a brace, after being introduced from the bench.
- He is of Mexican descent and is also eligible to play for Mexico at international level. He speaks English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- After joining PSV as an 18-year-old in December 2018, he made his first-team debut for the Club in November 2020 and recorded his first assist after just ten minutes of action. Introduced on 74 minutes, he teed up Ryan Thomas for the third goal of a 4-0 win over ADO Den Haag.
- During his time in the Netherlands, he clocked 23 appearances for PSV, tallying one goal and one assist. He featured in the Europa League, and helped the Eredivisie side to success in the Johan Cruyff Shield with a 5-3 win over Ajax. He was also part of the squad that lifted the 2022 KNVB Cup.
- Richy is already familiar with City midfielder James Sands, with PSV having faced Rangers FC in the Champions League, while he has also played alongside goalkeeper Matt Freese on the international stage.
Sign-up for MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app - and never miss a moment of the 2023 season. Stream every regular-season, playoff, and Leagues Cup match. Every Screen. No Blackouts.