Out of the remaining 32 teams that qualified for the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup, 10 head coaches have won the competition as players.
New York City FC head coach Jason Kreis is on that list.
Kreis, who leads the Club into their first-ever U.S. Open Cup tonight against the New York Cosmos, hoisted the trophy in 1997.
READ: New York City FC at New York Cosmos: Match Preview
The former Major League Soccer all-time leading goal scorer converted from the penalty spot as the Dallas Burn beat D.C. United 5-3 on penalty kicks to win the franchise's first U.S. Open Cup title.
Coincidentally, Kreis and the Burn beat New York City FC assistant coach Miles Joseph and the New York/New Jersey MetroStars in the semifinals. Joseph started and played 101 minutes in the 2-1 extra-time defeat, while Kreis played the entire match and assisted on Damian's goal in the 17th minute.
- The Cosmos are 2-1-0 all-time in U.S. Open Cup play.
- New York City FC assistant coach CJ Brown won four U.S. Open Cup titles with the Chicago Fire (1998, 2000, 2003, 2006).
- The Cosmos are 1-1-0 against Major League Soccer opponents in U.S. Open Cup play, beating the Red Bulls 3-0 in the fourth round of last year's tournament.
- Leo Fernandes, Sebastian Guenzatti and Mads Stokkelien scored as the Cosmos beat the Jersey Express 3-0 in the third round of this year's competition on May 27.
- New York City FC forward David Villa won the Copa del Rey (Spanish Cup) with Real Zaragoza (2003-04), Valencia, (2007-08) and Barcelona (2011-12).
- Cosmos forward Raul won the DFB Pokal (German Cup) with Schalke 04 in 2010-11.