Match Recap | FC Cincinnati 4-4 NYCFC 


FC Cincinnati Goals: Acosta 14’, Brenner 24’, 30’, 70’

New York City Football Club Goals: Talles Magno 45’, Heber 45+2’, 45+7’, Pereira 52’

Quick Read

New York City Football Club were on their travels once more as they headed to TQL Stadium to face FC Cincinnati where an eight goal thriller played out in Ohio. Luciano Acosta gave Cincy the lead in the 14th minute. That advantage was doubled by Brenner in the 24th minute. In the 30th minute, the striker notched his second of the game to make it three. The Boys in Blue would go in level at the half, however, after a frantic seven-minute spell saw them register three goals – Talles Magno and a brace from Héber restoring parity. NYCFC took the lead in the 49th minute after a brilliant strike from Gabriel Pereira. The teams were all square in the 70th minute when Brenner secured his hat-trick.

Match Recap

New York City Football Club were on the hunt for a Wednesday win as they took on FC Cincinnati in Ohio.

Interim Head Coach Nick Cushing made three chances to the side that took on Philadelphia Union, with Malte Amundsen, Gabriel Pereira, and Héber replacing Chris Gloster, Santiago Rodríguez, and Taty Castellanos.

The game proved a tense affair during the early exchanges with both sides keen to feel their way into the contest and establish a rhythm.

That period would end abruptly in the 15th minute after Sean Johnson’s clearance was pounced on and Luciano Acosta applied a finish to give Cincinnati the lead.

NYCFC were unfortunately forced into a first half substitution in the 24th minute after Maxime Chanot collided with the post during an earlier play – Justin Haak entering in his place and Alfredo Morales dropping into the defence.

Amid those changes, the visitors doubled their lead when Acosta slid a pass in for Brenner to slot the ball past Johnson.

Harnessing that momentum again six minutes later Cincinnati added a third goal after Brandon Vazquez chested the ball into the path of Brenner to convert.

NYCFC were handed the chance to get back in the game from the penalty spot after Tyler Blackett handled the ball in the 34th minute, but Maxi Moralez’s effort was saved.

The veteran playmaker would get a look from distance minutes later but he was unable to keep it underneath the bar.

As half time approached so too did the beginning of a surreal seven-minute spell that saw NYCFC register three goals and restore parity.

The first – a backheeled finish from Talles Magno – came in the 45th minute after an NYCFC corner found the teenager with his back to goal just a few yards out.

Not to be outdone, Héber added his name to the scoresheet two minutes later after latching onto a pass from Maxi Moralez and calmly lofting it over the goalkeeper.

The comeback was complete in the 7th minute of injury time when a Moralez cross from a freekick landed on Héber’s head and he powered it home.

The veteran playmaker whipped in a delightful cross from a freekick and found Héber in space

Almost defying belief, the Boys in Blue found a third goal before the half finished. Again it was a combination between Moralez and Héber, with the former’s freekick finding the head of the Brazilian in the final seconds of stoppage time.

The second period brought no changes but an early chance for the hosts as Acosta found Brenner in behind but Johnson did well to narrow the angle and block the shot.

NYCFC would instead take the lead after a driving run from Pereira in the 52nd minute opened up space for him to unleash a ferocious drive that hit the top corner.

The game took a breathe for the next 15 minutes as the hosts sought to get back into things and they did that in the 69th minute through a long-range drive from Brenner.

In the wake of that goal Thiago Andrade was introduced into the game in place of compatriot Talles Magno.

Cushing would again turn to his bench in the 83rd minute in order to sub out Pereira in place of Andres Jasson.

The hosts thought they had claimed a decisive fifth goal in the 90th minute after a brilliant point-blank save from Johnson was tapped home by Brenner on the rebound - the goal subsequently chalked off after consultation with VAR.

That would be the final notable act of the game and confirm a memorable road point for NYCFC after a fantastic comeback.

Player of the Match

MicrosoftTeams-image (9)

How We Lined Up


What's Next

Next up for New York City Football Club is a meeting with Atlanta United at Yankee Stadium on Sunday, July 3. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:00PM EST (YES Network/