The New York City FC City Development League is a central part of our talent development program. It was created with the philosophy of player development, respect, and enjoyment.
The New York City FC City Development League has a strong focus on training and technical skills. The development pathway starts by promoting camaraderie between players and clubs with less focus on winning and more emphasis on performance.
The league was established to support the development of 8-, 9-, 10-, and 11-year-old players who have been identified from our 6 Youth Affiliate Member Clubs. Through the curriculum provided by New York City FC, along with the New York City FC's mission, guidelines and policies, the hope is to foster enjoyable and sustainable player development.
- The City Development League was created to help promote and reinforce the development of New York City FC Youth Affiliate Member Clubs and soccer in New York City.
- For team officials such as coaches, this league is designed to provide age-appropriate training, knowledge, and structure to develop coaches and officials who can maximize player performance while maintaining a sustainable, enjoyable atmosphere for all those involved.
- In addition to the help and support New York City FC provides to our Youth Affiliate Member Clubs, New York City FC works with other organizations, associations, and leagues in order to enhance soccer for the betterment of players across the greater Metropolitan region.
- The league has NO standings and NO points tables
- The league caters only to teams from our 6 Youth Affiliate Member Clubs
- For 2017/18 season, the age groups are:
- 8-year-olds (born 2010)
- 9-year-olds (born 2009)
- 10-year-olds (born 2008)
- 11-year-olds (born 2007)
- Only two (2) teams in each age group per club for the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Age Division participate in Four (4) Festival Format (5v5) matches each season.
- Maximum of eight (8) teams per club
- Maximum of 22 teams in each age group (2007, 2008, 2009)
- Maximum of 14 players per 2010 age group
- A team is comprised of 11 members for players born in 2009, 2008, and 2007 and 7 members for those born in 2010
|Age||Number of Players||Maximum # of Rostered Players||Number of Substitutes||Number of Substitutions||Game Time||Break Between Periods||Stoppage Time/Extra Time|
|2009||7v7||11||4 Subs||Unlimited according to specs below||Four (4) periods: 15 min each||5 minutes||NONE|
|2008||7v7||11||4 Subs||Unlimited according to specs below||Four (4) periods: 20 min, 15 min, 20 min, 15 min||5 minutes||NONE|
|2007||7v7||11||4 Subs||Unlimited according to specs below||Four (4) periods: 20 min, 20 min, 20 min, 15 min||5 minutes||NONE|
**2010 Age Division will participate in 5v5
|Divisions||Field Length||Field Width||Penalty Area Length||Penalty Area Width|
|U9||60 yards||40 yards||10 yards||20 yards|
|U10||60 yards||40 yards||10 yards||20 yards|
|U11||60 yards||40 yards||10 yards||20 yards|
- A minimum of two (2) training sessions per week
- A maximum of one (1) game per weekend
- Games are played on either Saturday or Sunday
- Games will be played within a maximum 1.5 hour driving distance
- There are 10 matches per team per season
- One (1) Invitational Weekends held in Fall
- Optional Indoor winter season (pending facility availability)
- Players are not permitted to play or train in other competitions
- Players will be expected to attend all training sessions and matches
- Players and parents/spectators are required to adhere to a Code of Conduct
For questions regarding the New York City FC City Development League, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.